Saturday, March 28, 2009

Black Nights

is the name of Austin's platoon at Basic Training from which he just graduated! He has now moved on to 5 or 6 weeks of AIT (Advanced Individual Training) in his MOS (Military Occupational Skill), which is something to do with shooting howitzers. 13 Bravo - for those of you who know the artillery stuff. I live with guys who do, but I certainly don't retain the info.

Richard and I flew to Oklahoma this week for the graduation - and it was wonderful to see Austin and be there to celebrate his accomplishment. He has wanted to be an American Soldier his ENTIRE life - and now he is. He has great regard for our country, and a great desire to help protect it.

So enjoy the pictures and video clips below.

FAMILY DAY

When we first arrived on Wednesday, for Family Day, we pulled into the parking lot and were met with this sight. I jumped out of the car and aimed my camera - and started searching for my son. The soldiers were singing cadence and marching in rhythm . . .it was so cool. But I couldn't find him.



They circled around the parking lot and stopped not far from us. Richard found him in the crowd first, and as I turned to see - I confirmed it was Austin by the scar on the back of his head (from a heavy metal hook he had flung from a rope years ago). I ran to be in front and snapped the picture. He spotted me, but never moved his head.




(On the subject of scars, the Soldier you see behind him immigrated from Vietnam directly before Basic Training. He speaks no/little English. He has a ghastly scar nearly the entire width of the back of his neck. I imagine it is from something much worse than a childhood accident.)


Although the main battery waited outside the building, the families gathered inside for a briefing from the leaders and demonstration of some of the training the Soldiers had gone through.


This is Coop's favorite picture - but he was disappointed to learn that I hadn't been able to see them fired (or the live grenades launched).





When the demonstration was over we went outside where the troops were waiting to be released to their families for the day.





Austin found me this time in the crowd. And then we found Richard (who was trying to stay inconspicuous 'cause the eagle on his uniform makes Soldiers uneasy) His buddies had worried for days about whether or not they were supposed to salute his dad when they met him. He told us later he was nervous to see his dad! Can't count how many times Richard had to tell the Privates "at ease Private" as he chatted with them. Some of them looked like they were going to pass out or throw up.

ROAMING THE POST (Ft. Sill)




Richard's father graduated from OCS (Officer Candidate School) here.





We stumbled upon this road and had to have a picture.


TAKING HIM BACK TO THE BAY - ON TIME!!!!
Austin made sure we had him back at the Bay EARLY! We had spent some time at Richard's friend's home (on post, he is a Col. over much of the training at Ft. Sill). When it grew late, Austin worried about not making his curfew. I smiled and said that Col. Fant could write him a permission slip. Austin didn't think that was even a tiny bit funny.
Here he is with his "Battle Buddy" Troy Milton. They had to go EVERYWHERE together. (I asked Austin, "what about the bathroom?" He said, "mom, everywhere means everywhere!") However, even when Austin was on pass to attend church, he took his buddy with him.


Austin was the Platoon Guide for the day, so when the Battery (4 platoons) were assembling at the Bay for formation (roll call) he had to get his platoon ready. The video is fun to listen to, although it's very dark. Here's a picture of what you can't clearly see in the video.

That's Austin in front and his voice you hear calling out cadence.



GRADUATION DAY

The families had to wait in the misty rain outside of the auditorium while the Soldiers finished practicing. When we were able to sit (in the second row, thanks to my husband's rank - a nice perk) the Soldiers were all sitting at attention. This time I found Austin quickly and tried to get him to smile for me. This is the best he would do because he was at attention. But he knew I wasn't going to get out of the aisle until I had a good picture.


This next picture is for all you mothers of boys (especially Mason and Ian). THERE IS HOPE!! Boys DO have the potential to sit STILL for an hour! (Can we get Drill Sergeants to patrol the aisles at church?) They sat this way - without talking or moving their heads or hands - the entire time. It did my heart good. (Note to self: enlist Cooper in Army the day he turns 17)





Reciting The Soldier's Creed





These are all of the drill instructors. Austin's are the three at the far end. He actually liked his.



The Graduate




Taking the Oath of an American Soldier


(Austin's is the last forehead on the right)






As the Soldiers filed out of the room, the Drill Sergeant led them in cadence. It was one of my favorite parts. Both of these next two videos are of that scene. On the second video, Austin's the tall one on the right after the first row leaves.







Austin with Elder and Sister Woodbury - the senior missionary couple over the military members on Post. (Half a smile from the Private)


Parents and son. One with frizzy hair and the other two with not enough hair to frizz.




With his Drill Sergeant (evidently DS's don't smile either)



CHECKING OUT THE BAY
Austin listed his hometown as SLC because he said no one knows where Highland is. This is the sign on the front of his locker.


I examined the drawers in his locker - as I was so EXCITED to see them perfectly organized - but, alas, he had already packed up since he would be leaving the next day for AIT (on the same Post, but different barracks). All I found was a sandwich - which he assured me he would eat later that night. gross.




Private Miller's bunk - neatly made!!!!!!!!!!!






I became positively giddy when I saw the corners on his bed so I HAD to snap a picture. He didn't want a picture, however, because he said this was not well made, as it was his last day and wouldn't be inspected. This may not be up to Army standards, but to this mother it is a MIRACLE and a testament that boys CAN BE neat!!!!

The long line of bunks. I had asked his buddies the night before who snored the most. They pointed out a guy, and then assured me that Austin, although he doesn't snore, does talk in his sleep. That was not news to me. So does his father - and his little brother!






Another detail I was excited about. Germ control. Makes my heart happy. (Do you think they actually used it though? I don't.)

Outside his barracks - with the solemn face again. "Mom! I'm not SUPPOSED to smile."




Again with the berets. (The Adjudant General of Utah just changed policy so they get to wear their patrol caps with their ACU's (camo uniform) in Utah! I'm unreasonably happy about that.)


The drizzle has turned me to complete frizz - but still happy. And LOOK !! a smile on my son's face.
This experience has been so good for him, in many ways, and I'm proud of him. He worked HARD to accomplish his goal and is setting more worthy goals for himself. He's an American Soldier.

4 comments:

Liz said...

What a fantastic post--WAY TO GO MILLER FAMILY!

Anonymous said...

Love the video clips, Austin looks like he is doing really well. I'm sure you guys are really proud of him!! And...I have to agree about the berets!

The Hendricks Family said...

That is the coolest post I have ever seen. I was totally crying by the end of it. Austin looks so awesome and grown-up!!! Wow, it was so neat thanks for sharing!

Rachelle said...

Wow. This post floored me. I have not seen your family in so long and to see Austin all grown up and fullfilling his dream is just awesome.